We have just begun to fight

Apparently we were giving the County Commissioners
way to much credit.

They played us.

Discouragement, frustration, and disappointment set in….

Only for a moment.

Last Wednesday a large crowd of disgruntled citizens demanded to be heard.
Along with many others, my Dad spoke to the commission about truth and justice, right and wrong, good and evil,

I was so proud.

The creed below inspires me, and reminds me that all effort and fight will be worthwhile when it’s all said and done.


The Uncommon Man
by Dean Alfange

I do not choose to be a common man It is my right to be uncommon...
If I can. I seek opportunity... Not security.

I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state
to dream and build, to fail and succeed.

I refuse to barter incentive for a dole.
I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence;
the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia.

I will not trade freedom for beneficence Nor my dignity for a hand out.
I will never cower before any master nor bend to any threat.

It is my heritage to stand erect, proud, and unafraid; to think and act for myself;
enjoy the benefits of my creations; and to face the world boldly and say,
"This I have done with my own hand, I am a man. I am an American.

* Originally published in This Week Magazine.
Later reprinted in The Reader’s Digest, October 1952, p. 10, and January 1954, p. 122,

Comments

Dan the Man said…
I like this post a lot! I don't think Obama's Chicago would think too much of it though, they will gladly give up their dignity for enough money to buy a couple XBox games a week (that seems to be what most of the handout money goes towards around here)

Popular Posts