No Regrets


Quincy is five months old tomorrow.
Is it possible?
Can't I just freeze time,
and not allow her to grow up one more minute.
I'm sure you feel the same way about your own kids.
Trying to appreciate and enjoy my children
through the frustrations and demands of motherhood
is something I struggle to balance every day.
The following excerpt is from this talk
given by Elder M. Russell Ballard that I found on the
nieniedialogues.
I printed this quote and put it by my bed to remind me of what is important.
But Alas, here I am blogging instead of mothering. I am so weak...

"Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said:
“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . .
I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of my three children sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day,
ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about,
and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night.
I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed.
I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”
Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).

Comments

Randi said…
Love that, needed that. Thanks!
Amie said…
Hil,
That is exactly what I was thinking in church yesterday. I was in RS holding this eight week old baby trying to remember Grace at that same age. It was only two years ago but I too had a hard time remembering her little noises, her smell and her little new born face. I couldn't agree with you more on this post. I also am in love with Stephanie....NieNie dialogues. (come on Brooke)
tammy neves said…
Way to go Hil, you just made me feel worse than I already do. I am just kidding, I loved your post and I hope I can relax a little and enjoy every minute I have with my kids. Do you think I can still play Fantasy Football? Better not answer that.

Popular Posts