And Baby Makes Eight!

Dear Family and Friends;

Life is pretty “sweet” right now. Our new baby girl has changed the family dynamics already in just the few days she has been on this earth. It’s as if she has been a part of us all along. I’ve added a few more particulars of the last couple of days, so if you would like to indulge me while I give a few more details, well, read on.

Doctor Takasaki said he was leaving for the weekend, giving me the only option of being started on Wednesday night. I was disappointed, and had to let go of my romantic notion of starting into labor on my own, waking Dean in the middle of the night and rushing to the hospital with excitement. In the end, I realize it was actually a blessing to not have started into labor at home, on my own. The doctor said I would’ve likely had the baby at home or in the car on the way to the hospital.

Wednesday night, the 4th I said a tearful goodbye to the kids and we dropped them off at Grandma Roberts. I was an emotional wreck anyway, because Dean had given me a beautiful blessing just before we left the house. To tell the truth I was very scared. Scared of our family changing, and truthfully scared of the pain. I cried the whole rainy way to Provo. But, as soon as we got to the hospital, I was ready for battle!

To cut to the chase, the nurse hooked me up to the Pitocin at about 7:00. Around 7:30 contractions were coming really hard and fast. Around 9:00 the doctor came in and broke my water, and quicker than I thought, quicker than anyone thought, the baby was born at 9:57 p.m. The doctor barley made it.

I was so grateful to have Dean right by my side. He knew just what to say, and just how to help alleviate the pain. Without Dean, and the fact that labor wasn’t extremely long, I wouldn’t have been able to do it.

Just minutes after Quincy was born all the nurses kept saying, “wow, what a big baby.” They said she’d be snacking on steak instead of milk. Nine pounds, ten ounces! Not the biggest baby on record, but big enough for us. Dean whispered to me “It’s a girl!” while I still had my eyes clenched, but it didn’t sink in until later. A girl?… How lucky, how blessed.

All the kids came the next day to see the newest member of the Roberts clan. River was not a bit surprised that she had a new sister. She somehow knew. Of course, she did have a 50/50 chance. Kal kept hugging me and telling me “Thank you.” Lauren, Brett and Wade now call for turns to hold Quincy like they used to call for turns on the computer; they are in love with her.

There is a special feeling in our home that I know it doesn’t last very long. Our newborn baby makes us all feel ok with life and just about anything. Thank you for the love, and phone calls, and visits and meals, and gifts, and prayers. We love you all. Love Dean and Hilary, Brett, Lauren, Wade, River, Kal and Quincy.

Comments

Popular Posts